Business Mail for Beginners
If you are new to Bulk Mailing for your business and haven’t really done any business mailing in the past then this post is for you!
What is Bulk Mail?
“Bulk Mail” refers to large quantities of mail which can be mailed at a reduced postage, commercial First Class Mail or advertising mail. The USPS uses the terms “Bulk” and “Presorted” interchangeably.
Bulk pricing is lower than single piece pricing. Single piece means that the full postage price is paid; when a stamp is put on a letter, you are paying for the single piece postage. Many businesses pay single piece postage even though they are mailing large quantities. Why you say? Because they don’t want to do any extra prep work, they don’t know it’s an option, or it is just not cost effective for their business.
The USPS offers lower pricing for bulk mail because you do some of the work that is normally done by the Postal Service (ie, sorting the mail by ZIP Code or transporting the mail to a postal facility). Everyone benefits from this sharing of work. Businesses make an investment in time and technology, the USPS’s costs are reduced and you pay less postage.
To mail at commercial prices, you need to:
- Get a mailing permit and pay an annual mailing fee for each class of mail (First-Class Mail and Standard Mail).
- Pay postage using one of several methods: pre canceled stamps, postage meter or permit imprint.
- Make smarter choices about size, shape, and weight of your mail.
- Ensure that your addresses are correct.
- Presort your mail (separate or sort your mail by ZIP).
- Take your mail to the Post Office where you hold your mailing permit.
The choices you make will result in significant postage savings!
Minimum Quantities for a Bulk Business Mailing
To qualify for specific postage discounts, you must mail out a minimum number of pieces:
- 500 pieces for First-Class Mail.
- 200 pieces or 50 lbs of mail for Standard Mail, Standard Marketing Parcels or Parcel Select Lightweight parcels.
- 50 pieces for Parcel Select.
- 50 pieces or 50 pounds for Parcel Select Non presort.
- 300 pieces for Pre sorted or Carrier Route Bound Printed.
- 300 pieces for Library Mail.
- 300 pieces for Media Mail.
Here’s a good start to understanding business mail from you local business printer!